Friday, August 04, 2006

Rubbish

Another week and Forum is upon us. Its like a relentless beast of burden, a huge emu perhaps. Every week it strains and scrambles to put something in front of us. Now the process is entirely cannibalistic: where before we listened to post-grads, we have turned on ourselves and now it is the students turn. For the rest of the year, we will have to comment on each other's work. Oh, and if you are a certificate student, we may be able to slot you in... somewhere...

I suppose I should get this off my chest now. The whole time I've been doing the certificate in Music Technology, I've felt excluded from the rest of the school. One day I turned up early to Forum, to find the whole school (small as it is) doing listening exercises. Surely this type of exercise would benefit certificate, and even other non-EMU students at the school but we weren't told about it. Now that I know, I'm free to go as I please. This week at forum, I decided I would go to listening, as it is called, and found that things have changed.

Listening is gone, and degree students will now be doing "Improvisation Workshops". Once again, because I was there, I am was able to join in. But I feel sorry for my fellow certificate students who had no idea it was on, and probably won't be able to join in now because lists have been drawn up and groups settled on. Do they actually want certificate students to continue studying here? The sense of hierarchy is stifling. We're all meant to be learning together after all, aren't we?

Some might say that because I went to things I didn't have to, I showed initiative and have been rewarded for it. This is rubbish. Certificate students deserve to be exposed to as much as possible. Surely the more the merrier when it comes to improvisation. Certificate students should have at least been informed about this and given the choice, as i was, as to whether they wanted to participate.


5 Comments:

Blogger Sebastian Tomczak said...

Surely the groups can still be changed; as far as I could tell from going to the last ten minutes of the session (i was not told about this either), there were a number of students AWOL...

Anyways, there is truth to what you say...

August 05, 2006 1:18 PM  
Blogger Pocket said...

Your right, the groups prob can be changed.

August 08, 2006 2:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

August 08, 2006 2:09 PM  
Blogger aajodie said...

Maybe we could start up our own exclusively certificate student only improvisation club? Yeah right on. that'd learn em.

August 14, 2006 1:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i like your photo, it's very congenial.

September 03, 2006 4:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home